Sunday, November 22, 2015

Our first outing almost ended in tears

The Fates smiled on us – our first outing will be a memorable one.  We had to deal with a blizzard, being chased around the mall with cheesy fingers, and almost crying...all on our first outing.
Boston has had an unusually warm winter…until yesterday, the day of our first outing.  We got hit with a blizzard that dumped over a foot of snow on Boston.  I wonder how much snow we’ll get this year?   Maybe this will be our only storm, though I hope not.  More snow is always better.
Hunter and I walked over to the local YMCA to shoot some hoops (free admission as a Big Brother; we get so many perks!).  The kid totally impressed me, by actually scoring points – and he’s only 7!  Hunter got game.
While walking back to his grandma’s, Hunter just had to jump into a snowdrift.  I caught it on tape. 
Playing in the snow turned into a very serious snowball fight.  Then, we headed to the mall, for good-old-fashioned … hanging out at the mall.  This was a safe and warm activity (given the snow, and that it was our first outing).
Hunter showed me his favorite video games at the game store, he played with a super-cute puppy at the puppy store, and then we built and raced cars at the Lego store.  And for some exercise, he chased me around the mall with his cheesy fingers (a by-product of sampling yellow-cheese mall popcorn). 
We headed to the Food Court for a couple slices of pizza.  While eating, Hunter started looking really sad - I thought he might cry (perhaps he did).  He said that he missed his grandma.  I smiled and asked, “Hunter, would you want to head home?”  He smiled and looked at me, and nodded his head.  As we drove home, I let him know that there is absolutely nothing that he can say that will offend me, and I will always bring him home whenever he wants me to. 
It was a great first outing. 
ABOUT ALLEN
Allen Arseneau is a Big Brother in Boston.He first came to know of Big Brother Big Sisters (BBBS) 27 years ago, when he became a Little Brother himself.This blog chronicles Allen Arseneau's journey of becoming the best Big he can.
Learn more about Allen.