Sunday, November 22, 2015

That awkward first meeting

Yesterday, I met my Little, Hunter, for the first time.  He is 7 years old, likes hot dogs and chocolate, likes to shoot hoops and read, and loves Legos.  He lives with his grandma, and 3 siblings.  I was relieved that Will, My BBBSMB liason, met me there to lead the meeting. 
I met everyone.  They were all great.  Hunter was kind of glued to his grandma’s side, and had a smile (from ear to ear) that seemed to be permanently stuck to his face.  His smile made me smile.  We were both nervous.  Excitedly nervous.
I let Hunter know that I have a daughter who is almost his age.  Hunter told me that he likes to read and eat hot dogs, and loves Legos.  He showed me his room, and then we talked about our first outing – a trip to the local mall.
Then we took a picture.  Silly faces are a great way to end a meeting.  I can’t wait to get to know Hunter better.
ABOUT ALLEN
Allen Arseneau is a Big Brother in Boston.He first came to know of Big Brother Big Sisters (BBBS) 27 years ago, when he became a Little Brother himself.This blog chronicles Allen Arseneau's journey of becoming the best Big he can.
Learn more about Allen.