Sunday, November 22, 2015

First, I was a Little...

People often ask me what is it like to be a Big Brother.  Is it hard?  My answer...being a Big is amazing.   This blog captures my journey of becoming a Big Brother (through Big Brothers Big Sisters of Massachusetts Bay, BBBSMB), and my Little's journey of growing up.  
Read the full blog at www.BostonBig.com
I have actually been a Little for 27 years (and still am).  I talk to my Big, Paul, almost every week.  I met Paul when I was 9 years old.  Life was hard back then.  I lived with my 5 brothers and my mother in inner-city Boston.  But Paul became my Big, and changed my life.  He became a light, flickering in my pretty dark world.  I ended up going to college, then went on to earn an MBA at Stanford University.  Today, I run a start-up with my fiancé.    
I have thought about becoming a Big on and off for the last 15 years.  Fear of the commitment, or of messing a kid up, or of just not having enough time has stopped me.  And this is crazy, because I know first-hand how beneficial it is to have a Big, yet I still had all of these excuses not to do it.  
Then, in December 2014, I was invited to the Big Brother Holiday Party.  This opened my eyes...I came face to face with a couple hundred Allen's (that me!).  Little kids who have nothing, yet still had huge smiles across their faces, running around with their Bigs.  The experience pushed me over the edge.  No more excuses.
The very next day, I signed up.  
This blog will capture my experiences of becoming a Big, and expose the truth about how truly rewarding and fulfilling it is to be a Big Brother.
ABOUT ALLEN
Allen Arseneau is a Big Brother in Boston.He first came to know of Big Brother Big Sisters (BBBS) 27 years ago, when he became a Little Brother himself.This blog chronicles Allen Arseneau's journey of becoming the best Big he can.
Learn more about Allen.